Tonight is the special night. You’re excited about the occasion, but unhappy because your dress doesn’t fit quite right and you really should have bought a new pair of shoes that look great and can be worn for more than 10 minutes without your feel howling! I know what that’s like and while it’s not the end of the world, those little details can dampen any occasion.
Special affairs are meant to be savored and, let’s face it, when your shoes hurt and you’re feeling self conscious because you feel the need to suck your tummy in all night, you’re not able to focus on the true meaning of the evening.
Last weekend I attended a brilliant event honoring the undercover agents for Mercy For Animals. As I was plucking my eyebrows in preparation for the evening, it occurred to me that I have a mental checklist I run through to get ready and it begins well before the event. Waiting until last minute can cause stress- not my best accessory!
The goal is to feel great and look your best so you fully enjoy yourself and focus on what really matters- the connections you make!
SELF CARE: My self care routine of nutrition, exercise, water, sleep and quiet time is usually pretty good, but I make a point to pay a little extra attention to it when I have an upcoming event. Not only is it good for me, but I’ll look and feel amazing for my night out!
GROOMING: Approximately 30 days before the event, I’ll schedule appointments for my hair, nails, waxing and spray tan. I get my hair trimmed and color refreshed about a week prior to my event. I don’t know about you, but my hair takes a few days after a cut and color to really look it’s best. I schedule my nails and brow wax about 2-3 days in advance and if I’m treating myself to a spray tan I do that the day before. Warning: If you’ve never done a spray tan, be SURE to do a test run about 2 weeks out to be sure you love the color. Same thing with your makeup- if you are having it done professionally, try it out in advance!!
WARDROBE: I decide what to wear at least two weeks prior. Whether I’m wearing something new or opting for something I already own, I choose something that is comfortable, fits well and doesn’t require a crane to get into (but of course… still stylish)! If I’m feeling self-conscious about my tummy, I either pull out my super duper Spanx (with a convenience panel for easy bathroom breaks) or opt for a cut that is a bit more forgiving. Also, wearing clothes that constantly need to be pulled, yanked or adjusted does not allow you the freedom to enjoy the night without wondering if your bra is showing!
- Unmentionables: Be sure you have the correct undergarments for your outfit- Spanx, panties, bra and hose.
- Jewelry: Your adornments are the finishing touches, a way to express your individuality and add sparkle to your look. Too much can overpower and draw the attention away from you! Choose one accessory to be your statement piece and compliment it with more subtle pieces. For example, if I’m wearing a statement necklace, I’ll pair it with simple earrings, a bracelet and cocktail ring. If I’m doing bold chandelier earrings I go sans a necklace.
- Handbag: Be sure your evening bag really blends with your look and that it is big enough to hold your essentials! If you want your bag to BE the accent and focal point of your outfit, build your look to accentuate it.
- Wrap: Since I’m in a warm climate, I always go for an eyelash (or tissue) weight scarf in a hue that blends with my look. If I know I’ll be wearing it most of the evening, I’ll choose IT to be my statement piece and have fun with color, design and/or jewels. Cooler climates may call for a heavy coat. Regardless, your cover up is a key finishing touch and something I see many women missing the boat on. Why carefully plan a beautiful outfit and then cover it up with something that’s just ok?
- Shoes: I will NOT wear shoes that hurt my feel. Not only is this in alignment with honoring my body, but have you ever watched a woman walking in shoes that were clearly uncomfortable? She doesn’t look very confident and you can bet she isn’t carrying herself with grace!
Try the complete outfit on (including your undergarments) a day or two before your event to avoid any possible hiccups. That way you’ll breeze through getting dressed and feel phenomenal!
The final touch is a huge smile that comes from within. You will shine like the beautiful woman you are! Have fun.
What tips do YOU have to add?