Seems like I’m always on the road lately. It may be business or leisure. Either way I am a student of all things practical. I enjoy talking to other travelers and when I come across a seasoned one, I always ask, “What is your best packing tip?”
Here are some of theirs AND mine…
- Begin packing a week before your trip. If you wait until last minute you’re likely to forget something. Create your outfits, accessories and all. If you have items that need to be cleaned, you’ll have plenty of time to take care of it.
- Color Code your outfits. Begin with a column of color (or two)- a matching underpinning and bottom (pant or skirt). Then build your outfits around that column. For instance, if you have a column of black, you can pair it one day with a fuschia jacket and silver necklace. The next day you can create a totally different look with that black column paired with a blue casual sweater and watercolor scarf.
- Use your accessories to maximize. Choose fun pieces to be the focal point of the outfit. Scarves are super lightweight and add lots of style. Tuck them away in a shoe to pack efficiently.
- Handbags- I recently found the PERFECT handbag for travel. Designer Wendy McMonigle of WM Design House has designed luxurious, handcrafted, multi-functional handbags that can carry anything from your keys to your laptop. Take a look at the Diane. It has a removable messenger pouch to use at your destination for hands-free sightseeing. Genius! Love, Love, Love.
- Lay your larger items like jackets and pants on the bottom and over the ends of your suitcase. Turn jackets inside out for less wrinkles. Fold your smaller items like shirts and pj’s along their lines and roll carefully for less wrinkles. Tuck them in and then wrap those larger items over the top.
- My husband likes to compartmentalize his clothes in zippered packing pouches that have mesh pockets so items are easily id’d. Take a look at e-Bags Packing Cubes.
- Duplicate, in travel size, all of your skin care, cosmetics, etc. Really simplifies packing. The time to inventory your cosmetic bag is when you get back from a trip. Replenish then and you’ll be ready to go for your next!
- Pack your heavier items on the ‘wheel end’ of your suitcase. When your bag is upright those heavy items are at the bottom and not crushing what’s below it. (This was such a practical tip, but I had NEVER thought of it).
- Create a packing list on your computer under ‘Travel’. This way each time you pack, you’ll have something to refer to and don’t have to reinvent the wheel every time.
- Travel safe and have a great time!!
What are YOUR favorite packing tips? Share with us. Become part of the comment stream and you’ll be sure to learn more.