You’re in your favorite pajamas, sitting in front of your computer perusing the web for the perfect outfit to wear to your cousin’s wedding. You might be thinking, I never find anything online. What if it doesn’t fit? Will there be a return charge?
A few days ago, a prospective client called and asked what I was up to. “Shopping online for some new black sandals.” She was surprised and went on to tell me that she never has luck buying her clothes online. I shared some of my secrets with her and thought I’d pass them on to YOU!
- Know what works and stick with it. Be clear about what colors make you glow and what cuts and styles flatter your body silhouette. No “WISH” shopping- shopping for what you wish would look good on you. Be specific. If you’re looking for side-zip, ankle-length black pants, don’t settle for something else. If you are looking for some guidance about what cuts and colors are best for you, try my Transformational Style System -a do-it-yourself image consultation.
- Get Accurate Measurements. Every brand/designer sizes their clothing/shoes a little differently. Have a friend or better yet, a tailor, take all of your measurements and keep them up to date. Compare your measurements with the online retailer’s fit/size chart. Also, reading the customer reviews will give you a good idea of how their sizing runs.
- Order Two Sizes. If you’re not quite sure what size to order, order two and return the one that doesn’t fit. I always have my clients try on two sizes just for comparison sake. Keep in mind the fabric content to gauge for shrinkage when choosing which size to keep.
- Read the reviews. Often times, that’s the first place I go when considering an item. Customer reviews are very revealing about quality, fit and may even something unexpected like, “These pants stretched so much they were falling off by the end of the day.”
- Use customized search fields. Many online retailers have customized search fields that will assist you in narrowing down your choices. For instance, at nordstrom.com you can search for a dress by color, cut, size, length, occasion or Zappos.com– shoes by color, style, heel height, etc. I LOVE this feature!
- Customer Experience. Keep your eyes out for online retailers that offer free shipping and returns. The ease of experience will affect your overall impression and keep you coming back again and again.
- Online Coupons. Before you hit the “submit purchase” button, open another screen and search for online coupons. More often than not, you can get a percentage off or free shipping. It all adds up!
Shopping online can save you precious time, money and frustration!
Do you have any online shopping tips to add? Do you have any favorite online retailers? Any great shopping apps?