More people working from home means that business has changed forever. Business owners are recognizing that they can skinny their expenses by conducting their business virtually, but they are making costly mistakes during virtual meetings.
Zoom reports that in December 2019, there were 10 million users and just 5 months later that increased to 300,000,000 million. While virtual connections have grown, there’s been an adjustment period for those new to the virtual thing. Often people show up scattered and quite literally like they just rolled out of bed. There are even times that inappropriate and embarrassing things are happening in the background.
Here are 5 virtual event mistakes:
- Showing up distracted. Give yourself some extra time to familiarize yourself with the technology and be settled and ready for a timely start. Create a distraction-free environment whenever possible and stay focused for the duration of the meeting.
- Eating. You wouldn’t eat while sitting in someone’s office or conference room (unless they have catered in). Remember your face is up close and personal and no one wants to see you chewing or getting spinach stuck in your teeth. 🙂
- Inadequate lighting. When the other participants are unable to see your face clearly you are losing an opportunity to build trust. People rely on facial cues and looking you squarely in the eyes to build relationships. That lack of connection may cost you a sale. I use these light strips that suction to the front of my computer screen to light my face evenly so I a clearly visible to those I’m meeting with.
- Messy background. We are definitely in a new era of representing our brands online with the added opportunity to showcase a set behind you and your computer screen. It may seem like a simple fix to use virtual backgrounds, but often they do not come across as authentic and realistic. Better to have a clutter-free environment that represents your brand colors and/or logo.
- Poor image. Just because you are home does not mean a free-for-all when it comes to your wardrobe and grooming. Show up with a polished image because how you care for yourself is a direct reflection of how you conduct your business. Not to mention it’s a communication to yourself that you matter and that builds confidence!
Luckily these virtual mistakes are easily remedied with planning, etiquette, and making some minor changes to ensure you represent yourself in the best light.
If you’d like more tips grab a FREE copy of 20 Tips & Resources to Look, Feel & Sound Confident For Virtual Meetings