Do you walk into a retail store and feel instantly overwhelmed? Do you ever leave that store empty-handed, frustrated or possibly in tears? You’re not alone. It has even happened to me.
Clothes shopping is a careful balance of strategy (finding the right things), money issues (do I deserve it?), self-esteem and body image issues (nothing looks good on me- just FORGET it!) and that’s just the beginning. In my vast 🙂 shopping experience- both mine and with clients- I’ve learned a few things. It’s all about preparation and mindset.
- Set a buget. Doing this beforehand gives you structure and allows you to prioritize your purchases. When you overspend you feel guilty and stressed and that takes the pleasure out of it. Spend with intention. If you’re planning to spend more than usual, notify your credit card company in advance.
- Make a list. Creating a list in advance helps you stay on task. Be specific. If you need side-zip, ankle-length black pants (because you’ve learned they’re best for your Body Silhouette) stick to the plan! Although it may take time to track them down, it will be worth it in the long run.
- Pre-Shop online. Visit your favorite retail shops online and search for those side-zip, ankle-length black pants. When you find them shop for the best price. Google them and price compare. I ALWAYS look for online coupons, savings, etc. When you’ve located them you know exactly where to go, saving you precious time!!
- Primp!! When you take the time to fix your hair and carefully apply your makeup before you shop, you’ll feel valued and pretty. A better mindset with which to shop! Don’t you think?
- Dress nice, but be comfortable. Wear something you feel good in, but you want it to be easy off-and-on.
- Shop for your Body Silhouette NOW. Not what it used to be or wish it was. Remember, no one sees the size you’re wearing except for you. Squeezing into a 10 when you’re a 12 will ultimately make you look as if you’ve gained weight and you’ll feel uncomfortable in those tight clothes!
- Pack a tote. Bring your shopping list, Color Rx Mobile App or Color Fan, shoes for try-on purposes, shapewear, items you need matching pieces for, snacks (including chocolate) & water!
- Allow plenty of time. Rushing while you shop leads to impulse purchases you may later regret.
- Shop alone if possible. If you do want support, be sure it’s someone who has great taste and will be honest and positive! If you’re not sure ask yourself, “Will Susie get her panties in a bunch if I say no to her choices?” If the answer is maybe or yes, Susie stays home! Better to have a sales person assist you.
- Silence your cell phone. This is YOU time. Cherish it. Answering your phone or checking email can sabotage your day. You may have a completely positive shopping mindset that’s ruined because of someone else’s drama.
Armed with these tips, solid preparation and your great attitude you’ll be sure to bring home just the right things. Clothes you’ll actually wear and feel beautiful in!
What are YOUR favorite shopping tips?